Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Thursday August 24th

Today it ended. On this, a cool clean Kansas night, unhaunted by the usual humidity of summer, I understood more clearly than before, that this election will not be watershed as expected by so many sanguine American youth.

I’m fresh off watching a Bloggingheads video with John McWhorter and Glen Loury contextualized by my following of the presidential race. And, frankly, I think McCain has seized the campaign in the court of public opinion. I am a cynic, always skeptical, and McCain has only fulfilled my cynicism as founded.

This is not to say that I ever believed in the campaignspeak of a ‘fair race’ or a ‘new politics,’ rather that I didn’t think McCain would be able to reanimate the seemingly decrepit war machinery left in ruins by Bush’s recent mismanagement of the American government or the GOP image.

But the case, I am feeling more and more - partly influenced by the recent Harper’s piece by Thomas Frank- remains that I mistook Bush as seperate from the GOP, a man who had some kind of independent ambition or vision, rather than as means for the end of GOP domination of the DC coffers.

The reality is that there are many rich intelligent men who simply cannot afford, quite literally, for the GOP to lose power. Ten times out of ten these savvy businessmen will do a better job of branding, scheming and plotting than well meaning, green-horned do-gooders concerned about democracy.

No one should be fooled. This election is not Obama-McCain, this election is Obama against the Lobby, with McCain as an innocent (I believe that) and unwitting (again, quite literally ) participant.

No comments: