Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Debate.

At this point in the election I don’t feel like either candidate will make a move that significantly alters the momentum at any given time. I don’t think Obama will slip up; I don’t think McCain is willing to take the gambles necessary to get him a big win (Although all this terror bating stuff comes close).

This debate was fine on substance. I am not a fair evaluator of that part of the debate because I’m not undecided: I firmly believe that the orientation of Obama’s policies are better, and the discussion between the two candidates usually supports my opinions, in my opinion.

So, the interesting part of the debate comes from the elements of the debate that arise out side of the repetition of campaign talking points.

The way time limits came up offers an interesting insight. Obama would defy Brokow in the interest of defending his position (or being impetuous) and, on a single occasion, actually changed the format of the question. You could argue that this is childish, to me, though, he came through as adamant and assertive. Subconsciously, I think that this is important.

McCain always reacted to situations with humor. It is the quality of his humor that interests me. He comes across as between snide and self deprecating. And I’m not certain about his wandering around while Obama was speaking. I thought it was kind of pointless and distracting, but certainly his advisors told him otherwise.

I’m not certain that these issues will be brought up by the general media. And if not, that’s great, because the coverage of this event ought to be reserved for those who have not decided, those who focus only on the substance.

No comments: